Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Softball Game, Vilcabamba Style (by Nani)

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Apparently we have been invited by some new friends to play softball at the home of the nephew of the king of Spain this morning, who apparently has a field on which to play. We are supposed to meet in the square this morning at 9am if we want to participate.

Seriously, what the hell is going on here?

[later that day]
OK, so... here’s what was going on. First of all, the other team didn’t show up until about 11am. I guess that’s Ecuador time. Apparently, the nephew of the king of Spain has a hacienda overlooking the stadium where we were playing softball (on a soccer field), which is old and not well-maintained but it doesn’t stop anyone from having their regular sports fun. Rumor has it the guy is a professional? tennis player, but I’m not sure what his name is.

So, we played a softball game against the Loja pick up team which consisted of 5 guys and their older kids. We had no kids and they almost beat us. However, we were playing with their equipment that they use for a girls’ softball team which included VERY small gloves, some pink, which I couldn’t even put my hand into. I really want my glove now :-) because we’ll be playing again next week? And, yes... I did hurt myself.

Lastly, one of the local guys came wearing Red Sox gear and 2 with Yankees hats. After the standard picking on each others teams, it was clear that it was more out of habit than for real and the banter was replaced by something more appropriate, like... well, I won't bore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment